This has already been blogged to death so I apologized to the heavy bloggers, but I have some readers who don't read other blogs so...
Here is some required reading:
Doc and David
World of Ends
What the Internet Is and How to Stop Mistaking It for Something Else.
by Doc Searls and David Weinberger
1. The Internet isn't complicated
2. The Internet isn't a thing. It's an agreement.
3. The Internet is stupid.
4. Adding value to the Internet lowers its value.
5. All the Internet's value grows on its edges.
6. Money moves to the suburbs.
7. The end of the world? Nah, the world of ends.
8. The Internet’s three virtues:
a. No one owns it
b. Everyone can use it
c. Anyone can improve it
9. If the Internet is so simple, why have so many been so boneheaded about it?
10. Some mistakes we can stop making already