Ever since the OS X update, Aperture keeps crashing. Bah!

Mar 16 15:52:09 joi crashdump[4663]: Aperture crashed
I reinstalled it and ran a bunch of disk/directory repairs, but no go. I'm switching to Adobe Bridge.

UPDATE: Someone at Apple just told me that the patch I made to the system to get it to do M8 RAW is probably the problem causing the crashing. They also told me that Apple is working on M8 RAW support. Stay tuned!

1 Comment

Sorry, I accidentally deleted the following comments:

1- Charles @ March 16, 2007 5:15 PM

Reinstallation of an app will refresh pref and .plist files in system space, but not those in user space. Corrupted user pref/plist files will sometimes prevent an app from launching. The easiest way to test if this is happening, is to create a fresh new user account, log in to it, then run Aperture from there. If it launches and runs in the new account, the problem is with the old account's user prefs. If it still doesn't launch in the new account, the problem is with system prefs or the app itself, as the problem is common across all users.
Don't look at system.log, it won't tell you anything, look at console.log and you will probably be able to tell which pref or plist file is loading when the app crashes. Then delete that file and try again (the app will recreate it on launch).
2- Joi Ito @ March 16, 2007 5:55 PM

There was nothing in the console log... but I'll try restarting with fresh prefs. Good idea.
3- eirikso @ March 16, 2007 10:52 PM

Not much help, but I am running Aperture on a MacBook Pro and on an iMac. Both running 10.4.9 and Aperture 1.5.2. No problems.

If you want to use something else I would recommend Adobe Lightroom.
4- Pär Winzell @ March 17, 2007 12:13 AM

I have twice in one year attempted to make Aperture the cornerstone of my (very amateurish) photo collection and both times I have first loved the software and then despaired over how it starts crashing as soon as import my (innocent, I thought) library.

I will give it another try in half a year, but it disturbs me not only that this happens, but that Google searches for the problem turns up little of use.

And Charles: while trying to figure out was going on, I certainly deleted every file even vaguely related to Aperture between reinstalls. I spent hours with ktrace/kdump, and trying to figure out if the problem was any one particular one of my imported images...
5- Roland Dobbins @ March 17, 2007 3:55 AM

You should be switching to Adobe Lightroom - I moved from Aperture to Lightroom, and it totally blows away both Aperture and Bridge. And unless you're doing a lot of heavy editing, you don't even need Photoshop, just use Lightroom.

I've found Lightroom to be easier to use, more useful for in-app editing, and to be 100x faster than Aperture. I recently spent $3500 on a dual-processor/quad-core Mac Pro with 5GB of RAM as an 'upgrade' to Aperture; now that I have Lightroom, which runs just fine on my little 2GB black MacBook and even better on my new 3GB MacBook Pro, I'm selling the Mac Pro.
6- Patrick @ March 17, 2007 3:48 PM

It was the same with DXO until I have installed the update via the combo.
7- jim mcmurry @ March 19, 2007 11:57 PM

It funny, I just read in the Apple Support RSS feed :

All about the great things 10.4.9 do for us Aperture users, hah !
8- andrew @ March 20, 2007 5:41 PM

Lightroom indeed rocks. I like it because it's a nice thin layer over the file system. I spent a long time evaluating various asset-management and workflow tools 2 or years back and ultimately settled on Photoshop's File Browser and a set of actions. I've been able to replace most of that with Lightroom. My wife, who actually takes the (wedding) photos, tells me she's able to rip through the triage and proof adjustments in a much shorter time. The export function is rather slower than doing the same job as a Photoshop action, but it's also multi-threaded and works happily in background. When I can script Lightroom, I'll be extremely happy.